Thursday, July 13, 2006

Upward Movement

The buliding process has continued smoothly. I feel as though I can finally take a deep breath as it seems we have worked out all of the major kinks. I am more certain than ever that when the time comes to leave in six very short days that things will continue to progress without a problem. Below I am inserting pictures of what has happened in the past week at the site. The most exciting part for me was to see the columns rise above the ground level. It was fantastic to know that not only had I seen the ground breaking but I had also seen the school rise above the dirt. I constantly find myself taking a step back and realizing just how amazing this whole process has been. I feel so lucky to have seen it first hand. I only wish that Kari could be here with me to share in the small victories.
Steel Grids were made to fit into the bottom of each pit.
After the grids were in place, the steel columns were attached to the grid
Once the columns were in place the grids and the bases of the columns were covered with cement. (Bryan and I loved this guys shoes...empty cement bags!)
Wooden boxes were made to fit around the steel to serve as molds so that the concrete/cement could be poured and formed around the steel structures.
The concrete was then poured and left to dry overnight.
The next day the wood was removed and the holes were backfilled with dirt leaving the tops of the columns above ground!

1 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger lisa :) said...

Very, VERY cool - I'm so excited for you!!! Hard to believe the summer's going by so fast, but if you have time between Africa and Med School let me know and we'll grab some sushi together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home